Dear Precious Parent:
Fall of 1978 I received Jesus as my Lord and Savior. What a glorious day! My life was forever changed. That doesn't mean life has been free of problems, sorrow or pain, but it does mean that each time I have prayed to the Lord, He HAS answered me, freeing me from all my fears."
Of course, when we experience God's salvation we want our family and friends to know His love as well. One-by-one my family and friends are coming to the Lord. I shared last year about my sister, Rosie, and her son, Ed, both surrendering to the Lord Jesus in January 2006. Since then, Ed has graduated from Teen Challenge, in addition, in June 2008 he graduated from Teen Challenge Ministry Institute (TCMI) and is praying about where God wants to use him in the ministry. Yes! He has a call on his life to full time ministry. Rosie graduates from TCMI in September. To God be the glory for the great things He has done!
God is powerful! He does hear and answer prayers. I had prayed for my sister and her son for many years, and I know that each day the Holy Spirit was protecting them, wooing them, and finally He won their hearts January 2006. Praise the Name of the Lord forever!
Are you praying for a spouse, a son or daughter, a family member or friend to turn to the Lord Jesus Christ? Perhaps you have been praying many years. I encourage you, do not give up! Our almighty God still saves and sets free. I keep a prayer journal, and year after year, I see the faithfulness of the Lord as He answers my prayers.
The theme scripture that I use month after month is found in James 5:16b reads, "The prayer of a righteous person (MOM and DAD) is powerful and effective."
Stormie Omartian in her book titled, "The Power of a Praying Parent" writes:
"When you pray for your child, do it as if you are interceding for his or her life--because that is exactly what you are doing . . . Of course, Satan can do a lot of damage if we don't teach our children God's ways and God's Word . . . The Bible says, 'Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it' (Proverbs 22:6). Prayer and proper instruction in the ways and words of God will make sure that God's plan succeeds--not the Devil's. The Bible says, "Resist the Devil and he will flee from you" (James 4:7). Binding Satan's plans in prayer is part of resisting the Devil. Resisting the Devil on behalf of our children can free them to make godly choices."
This month as you pray the scriptures found on the Precious Calendar and pray for your children, I encourage you to pray for your unsaved family members and friends, too. Print out the Calendar below and then write their names on the back as your special reminder to pray for them everyday. If we are not praying for them, who is? Let's not give up--God is faithful and our prayers ARE powerful!
31 Powerful Ways to PRAY for Your Children*
1. Salvation. "Lord, let salvation spring up within my children, that they receive the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory" (Is. 45:8, 2 Tim. 2:10).
2. Grow in Grace. "I pray my children grow in grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" (2 Pet. 3:18).
3. Love. "Lord, may my children learn to live a life of love, through the Spirit living in them" (Gal. 5:25, Eph. 5:2).
4. Honesty and Integrity. "May integrity and honesty be my children's virtue and their protection" (Ps. 25:21).
5. Self-control. "Father, help my children not to be like many others around them, but let them be alert and self-controlled in all they do" (I Thess. 5:6).
6. Love God's Word. "May my children find Your Word more precious than gold and sweeter than honey" (Ps.19:10).
7. Justice. "God, help my children to love justice as You do and act justly in all they do" (Ps. 11:7, Mic. 6:8).
8. Mercy. "May my children always be merciful, just as their Father is merciful" (Lu. 6:36).
9. Respect (for self, others, authority). "Father, grant that my children show proper respect to everyone, as Your Word commands" (1 Pet. 2:17).
10. Biblical self-esteem. "Help my children develop a strong self-esteem that is rooted in the truth that they are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus" (Eph. 2:10).
11. Faithfulness. "Let love and faithfulness never leave my children, may they wear them like a necklace, write love and faithfulness deep within their hearts" (Prov. 3:3).
12. Courage. "May my children always be strong and courageous in their character and in their actions" (Dt. 31:6).
13. Purity. "Create in them a pure heart, O God, and let that purity of heart be shown in their actions" (Ps. 51:10).
14. Kindness. "Lord, may my children always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else" (I Thess. 6:18-19).
15. Generosity. "Grant that my children may be generous and willing to share, and so lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age" (1 Tim. 6:18-19).
16. Peace-loving. "Father, let my children make every effort to do what leads to peace" (Rom. 14:19).
17. Joy. "May my children be filled with the joy given by the Holy Spirit" (1 Thess. 1:6).
18. Perseverance (not give up). "Lord, teach my children perseverance in all they do, help them especially to run with perseverance the race marked out for them" (Heb 12:1).
19. Humility. "God, please develop in my children gentleness and true humility toward all people" (Titus 3:2).
20. Compassion. "Lord, please clothe my children with compassion, may they truly care for people" (Col. 3:12).
21. Responsible. "God, help my children be responsible, may they learn what they should do and do it" (Gal 6:5).
22. Contentment. "Father, teach my children the secret of being content in any and every situation, through Jesus who gives them strength" (Phil. 4:12-13).
23. Faith. "I pray that faith will find root and grow in my children's hearts, that they live a life of faith, so they please their Father" (Lk. 17:5-6, Heb. 11:1-40).
24. Servant's Heart. "God, please help my children develop servants' hearts, that they serve with their whole heart, as they serve the Lord and not men" (Eph. 6:7).
25. Hope. "May the God of hope grant that my children overflow with hope by the Holy Spirit's power" (Rom. 15:13).
26. Willingness and Ability to Work. "Teach my children, Lord, to value work and to work hard and cheerfully, as working for the Lord, not for men" (Col. 3:23).
27. Passion for God. "Lord, please give my children a soul that follows You close ('follows hard after You'--KJV), a heart that clings passionately to you" (Ps. 63:8).
28. Self-discipline. "Father, I pray my children be disciplined and do what is right and just and fair" (Prov. 1:3).
29. Pray. "Grant, Lord, that my children's lives consistent in prayer, that they learn to pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests" (Eph 6:18).
30. Thankful. "Help my children live lives that are always overflowing with thankfulness and always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ" (Eph. 5:20, Col. 2:7).
31. Heart for Missions. "Lord, please help my children develop a desire to see Your glory, Your Name, Your marvelous deeds declared among the nations, (especially the Deaf Nation all over the world" (Ps. 96:3).